- Are you looking to elevate the level of your interpreting skills?
- Are you planning to taken an interpreter performance exam soon?
- Are you looking for no-cost high quality options?
Check out this free online course on preparing for performance exams. This is the second time we have offered this course as part of Stepping Stones for Novice Interpreters, a self-directed track from the CATIE Center’s Dive In project.
Preparing for Performance Exams for Novice Interpreters
This self-directed course was developed for interpreters preparing to take professional performance exams or screenings and to provide resources and tools for reflection and practice. Participants will have the opportunity to self-assess interpreting samples, reflect on performance and readiness, and apply specific practice and preparation strategies. Course contains guidance and resources to support ongoing development and preparation.
Someone who successfully completes this course will be able to:
- Describe readiness for interpreting performance exams;
- Identify skill patterns in your work samples, including those that are effective and those that that need improvement;
- Discuss areas for improvement and/or practice in preparation for performance exams;
- Compare and contrast foundational, situational, presentation, and coping skills specific to interpreting performance;
- Apply strategies and/or practice activities for skill development; and
- Identify resources that can be used for ongoing practice and preparation.
The course is designed to be completed over 6 weeks, at your own pace. Each module will have a specific focus and include opportunities for application and reflection. Modules can be completed in approximately 3-4 hours.
The course will be available from April 25, 2023 – June 30, 2023.
A Note on CEUs
Because our grant is focused on novice interpreters working toward certification, CEUs are not offered. Interpreters interested in CEUs can initiate a PINRA with an RID approved sponsor.
For a PINRA application, you need the following information:
- CEUs to request: 1.5 CEUs in Professional Studies
- Workshop Flyer, Description and Agenda: Available as Google Doc. You can download this page to include with your PINRA application.
- Documentation of Learning: This course will take at least 15 hours to complete and you will receive a certificate of completion at the end that you can share with your sponsor. Additionally, if your sponsor requires reflections on what you have learned, you can copy your reflections from the course to share with them.
- Dates of Activity: You can choose to start the activity any time before November 30, 2023. When you complete it is up to you, but there will not be any facilitation after December 15, 2023.
Registration is open until November 30, 2023. The course will be offered again in May 2024.
The registration form will provide you a link to enroll in a free Canvas course. It will also ask for optional demographic information which will be helpful for the CATIE Center in evaluating the effectiveness of these resources for supporting the diversity of novice interpreters who are entering the interpreting field.
About Stepping Stones for Novice Interpreters
This course is part of a series developed by the Dive In project of the CATIE Center at St. Catherine University. Each module will have a facilitator from the CATIE Center who monitors a Support Forum. The activities are designed so that you can do them asynchronously. Though possible to do independently, we encourage you to either join as a group and work through the material together – or use the introduction forum to seek out others in the course who might work with you in the discussions. Collaborative learning can be a really important tool in professional development.