ASL Version of Description
Immersive learning experiences for novice interpreters provide opportunities for authentic, deliberate, and reflective practice. This resource from the Graduation to Certification (GTC) project from the CATIE Center at St. Catherine University is divided in two parts. The first section focuses on information for people planning an immersion. It gives some of the evidence behind why immersion experiences are helpful for novice interpreters as well as different strategies and approaches for planning and implementing an immersion. The second section is a template for a four-day online immersion that was implemented in 2021. Created in partnership with Sorenson Communications Interpreter Education & Professional Development, these resources focus on the development of ASL language, translation, and interpreting skills. The second module can be copied and adapted for an immersion experience facilitated in a different context.
An immersion experience offers a unique approach to training and professional development. These experiences offer more authentic and extensive practice that is not possible in the traditional classroom. Immersion experiences provide an intensive experiential learning experience for students and novices.
Objectives of this module:
- Outline the components and steps involved in running an immersion experience.
- Draft a needs assessment designed to learn more about potential immersion participants.
- Write learning objectives for an immersion event.
- Answer key questions about immersion event options as they relate to your organizational needs and capacities.
- Describe engaging and sequenced activities that support the achievement of the immersion learning objectives.
- Create an instructional plan and interaction plan that can be implemented during an immersion event.
- Prepare an evaluation/assessment approach that is aligned to the immersion learning objectives.
- Identify key take-aways from a sample immersion evaluation/assessment.
- Click here to join a Preview Course in Canvas
- Click here to access the resource in Canvas Commons. (You can copy the entire course.)
Assistance in Using Canvas Commons
View tutorial for transferring course from Canvas Commons to another LMS.