Developed by Mark Halley
Time Required for Activity: 30 minutes
Competencies Address: Depiction in ASL
To identify depiction in an ASL text.
Step One: Science News in ASL: Ball Lightning
Prediction: You will watch a segment of Michael’s lesson on ball lightning. In the lesson, Michael first recounts his own experience witnessing ball lightning from a vehicle.
First, do a Google search to become familiar with ball lightning. You might search for pictures or videos to help you understand what ball lightning looks like. Before watching Michael’s lesson, predict what types of depiction he might use to describe his experience. For example, how might Michael depict the shape of the ball lightning, its movement, and his vantage point from a vehicle?
Step Two: Watch the Video
Watch the Video: Watch this segment of the video and identify as many instances of depiction as you can.
This is the list of concepts Michael described with depiction in the text.
- 0:28 – a storm brewing
- 0:37 – driving a vehicle
- 0:40 – a vehicle traveling
- 0:43 – driving a vehicle
- 0:46 – the sun setting
- 0:48 – lightning striking
- 0:49 – driving a vehicle
- 0:50 – a hilly field of cattle
- 0:56 – driving a vehicle
- 0:57 – looking in the distance
- 0:59 – an object (the ball lightning) floating in the air
- 1:01 – driving a vehicle
- 1:09 – the colors and of the ball lightning
- 1:16 – driving a vehicle
- 1:20 – an object (the ball lightning) floating across the field
- 1:28 – the ball lightning striking a vehicle window
- 1:29 – the electricity shooting through the car
- 1:29 – a person feeling the lighting strike
- 1:31 – a vehicle moving over the ground
- 1:33 – an unscathed window
- 1:37 – a vehicle stopping to the side
- 1:38 – an empty space
- 1:40 – movement of the ball lightning
- 1:43 – getting in a vehicle
- 1:45 – driving a vehicle
Step Three: Application
Watch the Video Again: Now that you have seen the list of concepts described with depiction, watch the video again to ensure you fully understand how Michael uses depiction to recount his experience witnessing ball lightning from a vehicle. After fully understanding Michael’s use of depiction, watch the video in slow motion and carefully copy Michael’s signing, taking note of how you produce depiction. Try doing it first at 50% speed, followed by 75% speed.